Criminal Complaint released in Boston Marathon bombings

Federal officials on Monday filed the first formal charges against the surviving Boston Marthon bombing suspect, charging 19 year old Dzhokar Tsarnaev with conspiring to use weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property resulting death.

The thirteen page document also includes a number of details that indicate what evidence federal agents have at this time, linking the younger Tsarnaev brother to the second bombing.

The Justice Department posted this statement:

In a criminal complaint unsealed today in U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, Tsarnaev is specifically charged with one count of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction (namely, an improvised explosive device or IED) against persons and property within the United States resulting in death, and one count of malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive device resulting in death. The statutory charges authorize a penalty, upon conviction, of death or imprisonment for life or any term of years. Tsarnaev had his initial court appearance today from his hospital room.

“Although our investigation is ongoing, today’s charges bring a successful end to a tragic week for the city of Boston, and for our country,” said Attorney General Eric Holder. “Our thoughts and prayers remain with each of the bombing victims and brave law enforcement professionals who lost their lives or suffered serious injuries as a result of this week’s senseless violence. Thanks to the valor of state and local police, the dedication of federal law enforcement and intelligence officials, and the vigilance of members of the public, we’ve once again shown that those who target innocent Americans and attempt to terrorize our cities will not escape from justice. We will hold those who are responsible for these heinous acts accountable to the fullest extent of the law.”

You can read the thirteen page criminal complaint here.

Among the highlights:

+ The younger Tsarnaev is seen on security footage of Forum restaurant dropping the second bomb off

+ After the first bomb goes off, Dzjokhar “appears calm” and then rapidly moves away “without his knapsack”

+ In Dzhokhar’s dorm room, agents found “a large pyrotechnic, a black jacket and a white hat” like those worn by Bomber Two in the video released last week

+ When the Tsarnaev brothers carjacked a vehicle hours after their photos were released to the public, one of them said to their victim, “Did you hear about the Boston explosion?…I did that.”

+ The brothers threw at least two small improvised explosive devices out the window at police during a car chase

+ Police also found “two unexploded IED’s” along with the remnants of others that were detonated at the scene of a shootout with officers